Wednesday 26 August 2015

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

I had watched Gone Girl a few months back and enjoyed it, probably because I hadn't read the book!

While going through movie trailers one afternoon, I came across a film adaptation of Dark Places starring the talented Charlize Theron. Dark, emo and with a hint of madness I knew I had to hunt down a copy.

Whew!

Gillian Flynn is one talented lady! Her words have the amazing quality to leave me supremely uncomfortable yet greedy for more!

Libby Day. Survivor of a family massacre. A family massacred by one of their own. 
Fast forward 20 odd years and Libby is broke and bitter. (I loved to despise Libby) Needing money quickly, she agrees to meet with a "murder club", accepting payment to speak about her ordeal at the hands of her brother. Once she gets there it's not the sympathy she expects. They convince her of the lack of evidence and her testimony against her convicted brother.

She is forced to confront childhood memories of the murders and the possibility of her brother's innocence.

Leaping between present day and the week leading up to the murders and told from the POV's of Libby, her mother and brother, this is an ending you never saw coming!

As prescribed by another reviewer, "this book should be read out in the bright sun while surrounded by happy people."

Loved it!

KD

No comments: