Saturday 5 December 2015

An Eagle In The Snow by Michael Morpurgo

I have read a few books by Michael Morpurgo over the years and Running Wild has always been my favourite.

An Eagle In The Snow was recommended to me and after putting it aside (I've had quite a reading list to get through) I read it the other day. It is aimed at the 9-12 year old market. It isn't a big book and kid's wont be intimidated by the font or size. In fact, it can be read by younger kids as well.

I thoroughly enjoyed this powerful new novel. Michael Morpurgo is at his usual best. Here he writes a story inspired by true events and a man who could have stopped World War II.

The year is 1940, and young Barney is travelling with his mum when suddenly their train comes under attack by German bomber planes. The train finds shelter in the darkness of a tunnel. A stranger in their carriage starts telling a story to pass the time and ease Barney's fear.

The story is of a young soldier who could have prevented the war, by doing what he thought was the right thing at the time. It turned out to be the biggest mistake he could ever have made and one that needs to be put right.

As the story unfolds you realise the narrator is actually the soldier from the story.

This story is both compelling and thoughtful, based on events from the life of Private Henry Tandey VC.

If you're anything like me, then the little I learned about him in the book's afterword encouraged me to find out more about this brave man.



No comments: